The Volcano Discovery Centre is established by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department and operated by Sai Kung District Community Centre, it is located in the Sai Kung Waterfront Park and is easily accessible by public transports. The Volcano Discovery Centre shows the formation of the hexagonal rock columns in Hong Kong and around the world. It also tells the basic knowledge about volcanology, volcano structure, volcanic eruptions and related geological knowledge. It also introduces the features of different geosites in Hong Kong Geopark. We also provide free guided tours of the Volcano Discovery Centre and are open for registration to the public. To facilitate the visit to Hong Kong Geopark, we offer one-stop registrations to various Geopark Guided Tours to fit different needs and enrich the visiting experience of every visitor.
Goals and Objectives
Hong Kong is blessed without volcanic disasters, but it was a complete different story 140million years ago. At that time, Hong Kong experienced a massive eruption of the super volcano, which on the other hand also created the magnificent rock wonders such as the hexagonal rock columns in Sai Kung. The goal of the Volcano Discovery Centre is to share the interesting but little-known GeoHistory with citizens and visitors.
Apart from enhancing GeoLearning, another important role of the Volcano Discovery Centre being the gateway to the Hong Kong Geopark. Locating in down town Sai Kung, the centre can be reached conveniently by public transports and is situated in the vicinity of the Sai Kung Public Pier and makes it a perfect starting point for visitors to the Hong Kong Geopark. Moreover, the centre is also an official visitor centre providing trilingual information advising the best visiting route and all-rounded visitor information.
Everyday：9am to 5pm
Everyday：9:30am to 4:30pm
Closed on the first and second days of Chinese New Year
Take the following public transports and get off at Sai Kung minibus/ bus terminal. Then walk to Volcano Discovery Centre.
- (a) Bus No. 92 which runs between Diamond Hill MTR station and Sai Kung,
- (b) Bus No. 96R which runs between Diamond Hill MTR station and Wong Shek Pier (Only on Sundays and Public Holidays),
- (c) Bus No. 99 which runs between Ma On Shan Heng On Bus Terminus and Sai Kung,
- (d) Bus No. 299X which runs between Sha Tin Central Bus Terminus and Sai Kung,
- (e) Bus No. 792M which runs between Tseung Kwan O MTR station and Sai Kung,
- (f) Minibus No. 1 which runs between Kowloon Bay (Telford Gardens) and Sai Kung,
- (g) Minibus No. 1A which runs between Choi Hung Mtr station and Sai Kung,
- (h) Minibus No. 12 which runs between Po Lam and Sai Kung,
- (i) Minibus No. 101M which runs between Hang Hau MTR station and Sai Kung.